To seize the FSMO roles by using Ntdsutil, follow these steps:
Caution: Using the Ntdsutil utility incorrectly may result in partial or complete loss of Active Directory functionality.
1. On any domain controller, click Start, click Run, type Ntdsutil in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Type roles, and then press ENTER.
Note: To see a list of available commands at any of the prompts in the Ntdsutil tool, type ?, and then press ENTER.
3. Type connections, and then press ENTER.
4. Type connect to server <servername>, where <servername> is the name of the server you want to use, and then press ENTER
5. At the server connections: prompt, type q, and then press ENTER again.
6. Type seize <role>, where <role> is the role you want to seize. For example, to seize the RID Master role, you would type seize rid master:
7. You will receive a warning window asking if you want to perform the seize. Click on Yes.