- A clone is a copy of virtual machine.
- You cannot convert back the cloned Virtual Machine.
- A Clone of a Virtual Machine can be created when the Virtual Machine is powered on
- Cloning can be done in two ways namely Full Clone and Linked Clone.
- A full clone is an independent copy of a virtual machine that shares nothing with the parent virtual machine after the cloning operation. Ongoing operation of a full clone is entirely separate from the parent virtual machine.
- A linked clone is a copy of a virtual machine that shares virtual disks with the parent virtual machine in an ongoing manner. This conserves disk space, and allows multiple virtual machines to use the same software installation.
- Cloning a virtual machine can save time if you are deploying many similar virtual machines. You can create, configure, and install software on a single virtual machine, and then clone it multiple times, rather than creating and configuring each virtual machine individually.