1. What are the main differences between solaris 10 and 9?
The main difference in solaris 9 & solaris 10 is "SMF(Solaris Management Facility)". In solaris 9, if any service goes down then we should restart all services this is the disadvantage. But in solaris 10,if any service goes down then that particular service we can select and enable it instead of restarting all services.
2. What is the command to do an interactive boot from the ok prompt?
stop+a command is to boot an interactive boot from the ok prompt
3. Which NFS daemons are found on the NFS server?
In NFS server side there are 4 Deamons They are
4. What file controls system wide password aging?
5. What command will display the VTOC for disk c0t0d0s0?
6. What command enables a printer?
7. Where are the templates stored that are copied into the user's home directories for their personal customizations?
8. How do we know how many LAN cards we have in server?
dmesg – It displays all configured items on systems.
9. Give the command that will display your default boot device?
10. What command can you use to display all of your groups?
groups – To display full list
11. What is the command can reconfigure devices with out reboot?
12. What are the different phases in boot process?
Boot phases of Solaris Operating Environment are:
2.boot programs like bootblk,ufsboot
3.kernel initialization like loading modules
4. init phase
13. How many cpu's we can connect to a spark machine ?
Sun Fire 15K can have upto max of 106 processors
14. List the hidden files in current directory ?
– ls -a1 | grep "^."
15. How much space is used for users in kilobytes ?
– quot -af
16. How to know the date & time for – when script is executed ?
add the following script line in shell script.eval echo "Script is executed at `date`" >> timeinfo.infHere, “timeinfo.inf” contains date & time details ie., when script is executed and history related to execution.
17. Display the files in the directory by file size ?
– ls –ltr | sort –nr –k 5
18. Display the state of interfaces used for TCP/IP traffice ?
– netstat -i
19. How to find 32 or 64 bit system instances of OS?
20. How would you find out what version of Solaris is currently running?
Uname -r is the command to know the version of the OS and uname -s for the type of OS.